Best Copper Cookware – Reviews and Shopping Guide
Take your cooking skills to the next level by investing in the best copper cookware. Some of the well-known celebrity chefs and even Michelin-star rated restaurants use copper cookware for their masterpieces. And you too can do just that!
Unfortunately, choosing and buying the right cookware set for your kitchen is not that simple. The number of cookware brands that offer copper pots and pans continues to grow by the day. You’ll surely have a hard time scouring through these cookware sets.
But how do you pick the best copper cookware without going beyond your budget? Well, you have to know exactly what you need and what you want before you even start shopping around. You should also read about the cookware set you consider buying to be able to make an informed decision.[table id=3 /]
How to choose the best copper cookware – What to look for when buying it
No two copper fry pans are ever the same! To compare them, you have to consider a number of things. Here are just some points for comparing.
- Warranty – Know whether the cookware set offers warranty. Some may be covered with a lifetime warranty while others are just for a certain number of years. This guarantees you in case there are construction defects. Also, the warranty speaks a lot about how sure the manufacturer is about their product.
- Gauge of copper – The gauge or thickness of the copper is essential as it ensures better heat distribution. This feature allows you to cook evenly.
- Versatility – For some of your dishes, you may want a copper skillet that is both oven and broiler safe. This means you don’t need to transfer the food to other utensils when changing the mode of heating. It will save you time as well as after-care needs.
- Design features – Copper cookware will have different designs. Choose one that will be suitable for the dishes that you likely cook. For instance, there are pots with flared rims that allow pouring hot liquids. Some cookware sets have curved handles that don’t heat up easily. The handles can be welded, screwed or riveted. Lids may also differ – some are tight fitting and prevent heat from escaping while others have small vents that allow excess pressure to move out.
- Weight – Basically, a high quality copper cookware weighs heavier. However, you should also consider comfort when using it, especially when it already has food in it.
- Materials – Copper is good in heat distribution but can scratch and dent easily. It can also react to certain foods and chemicals. As such, the best copper cookware normally has other metal or allows linings such as stainless steel, nickel and tin. Be sure to check the coating used along with the copper.
- Value – The price is another factor to consider. Usually, you can get discounts and better price if you buy cookware sets instead of buying a copper skillet or copper pan individually. However, make sure that you choose a set that doesn’t include unnecessary pots and pans. Pick only the one that better suits your cooking requirements.
Pros and cons of using copper cookware
To make an informed decision, you have to know the advantages and disadvantages of copper cookware.
- Superior heat conductivity – Unlike other cookware the use different metals and alloys, the best copper cookware don’t have any hot spots as the heat is evenly distributed.
- Precise heat – Copper allows precise heating. When you change the heat setting on your stove top, the temperature of the cookware also changes immediately preventing over-cooking. It also ensures that you perfectly cook your food.
- Good weight – Unlike other metals and alloys, copper has an ideal weight that allows it to sit securely over the stovetop but not too heavy to cause discomfort while using it.
- Very presentable – Copper fry pans shines perfectly. Some of the best brands are designed beautifully. In fact, copper pans are commonly seen in photos of kitchens in home decorating magazines. Visually, copper cookware is on top of the others.
- Highly reactive – Copper tends to be overly reactive with foods. Hence, the best copper cookware is lined with other more stable metal materials like tin and steel.
- Regular polishing – Copper is prone to corrosion and as such needs frequent polishing even when not in use. This can be an issue to some who don’t have enough time to spare in the kitchen.
- Incompatible to dishwasher – Aftercare of copper cookware tends to be more tedious than other materials. It cannot be washed in the dishwasher and requires that you hand-dry it thoroughly after washing to avoid spotting.
- Expensive – Since copper cookware is made of several layers of metals, expect that it to be pricier. Although it is more expensive, you are assured of its good quality and long life span.
Top 5 Best Copper Cookware Sets
Among the first cookware sets to use ceramic and high-grade titanium for surface finishing, the Gotham Steel 10-Piece Nonstick Frying Pan and Cookware Set – Graphite combines durability and sophistication. The combination of non-stick ceramic coating and strong titanium also ensures multi-functionality and versatility in the kitchen.
This copper cookware set proves to be a healthier option as it allows you to cook without the need of butter, oil or grease. The ceramic non-scratch surface also lets you use metal utensils. Better yet, this cookware set can be used in both the stovetop and oven. Perhaps, one downside with this is that it can’t be used in induction stove but its guaranteed safe for use on any cooktops.
The Gotham Steel 10-Piece Cookware Set is rust-proof, lightweight and made of stainless steel. It is environment friendly as it PTFE, PFOA, and PFOS-free. Aftercare is never difficult as it is dishwasher compatible. Some few concerns from users: this model is not so scratch-proof and some coating on the bottom peels off. You may also be surprised at its high price.Buy from Amazon
Manufactured by BulbHead, a reputable company and a well-loved brand by top chefs, the Red Copper 10-pc Copper-Infused Ceramic Non-Stick Cookware Set is a complete package that is perfect for any kitchen. Just like the previous cookware set, this one comes with a non-stick ceramic surface that lets you cook without any oil or butter. It is also scratch resilient and is very durable. The copper pans are dishwasher safe, so you don’t have to worry about cleaning them after. But it is still recommended that you wash them with warm water and soap to keep its quality.
Despite being made of high quality metal, it is still lightweight and you can comfortable use it while cooking. You also need not worry about chemicals getting into your food as this cookware set is PTFE and PFOA free (chemicals related to liver, heart and thyroid problems). This also means that you can cook healthier, safer food with this copper cookware set. Although this one is compatible with both oven and stovetop, it won’t work on induction stoves. Some users have also reported certain foods getting stuck to the pan and as such may need a drop of oil.Buy from Amazon
Cuisinart HCTP-8W Hammered Copper Set (8-Piece)
The Cuisinart HCTP-8W Hammered Copper Set can be quite pricey but with durability, efficiency and beauty, you’re assured that it’s worth every penny. Beneath its outer coating is a triple-ply material that ensures even heat distribution and superior heat conductivity. This cookware set banishes hotspots and almost instantly adjusts temperature along with the stovetop. Except for induction cooktop, this Cuisinart Copper Set is compatible with any cooktops and oven.
For maximum comfort, Cuisinart cookware tends to be thinner and weighs less than the other brands. The handles are also heat-resistant and remain cool while cooking. The grips are very comfortable too. Perhaps a testament to its quality, this set of cookware offer lifetime warranty. There seems to be very few issues with this cookware set. In fact, a lot of user reviews recommend the
For health buffs and eco-conscious people, this Gibson Copper Cookware set is a good pick. It doesn’t contain the PFOA and PTFE chemicals commonly found in traditional pots and pans. What’s great about that is that you are not exposed to unwanted chemicals known to cause various health conditions in the long term.
Moreover, these chemicals are proved to be harmful to the environment. This 10-piece cookware set includes two copper fry pans, two saucepans, one dutch oven with lid, slotted turner and a serving spoon.
This set costs a little less compared to other models. Its matte black color makes it look modern and stylish – perfect for any kitchen.Buy from Amazon
The Copper Chef 4-pieace Cookware set incorporates copper and stainless steel in its construction. This enables it to work on any cooktops including induction heating which is not common with other copper cookware. Its manufacturer boasts about its durability owing to its material and engineering. The riveted handles, for instance, has a very high heat threshold which can take up oven heat of up to 800 degrees.
If you’re considering this cookware set, be prepared to pay its hefty price tag (a common concern among its buyers.) Others also complained about its pan being smaller than expected.
This is also not compatible with metal utensils which can scratch off its coating. However, it does have a number of advantages such as its versatility, excellent nonstick coating, and efficient heat conductivity.
But wait… Here’s an additional option…Buy from Amazon
Aside from the five copper cookware sets above, we’ve also added the T-Fal C636S Series in this list. Perhaps, you’re wondering why. Well, the overall quality of this cookware set is generally good and it also gets some very good ratings from different review sites.
The features are practically the same as the other we’ve just reviewed but the price tends to be friendlier to buyers (considering the number of pieces included).
Just a precautionary tip: the outer, exposed bottom layer of copper can flake out or tarnished over time and such as is not recommended for the serious cook. Other brands tend to have better bottom layer construction.Buy from Amazon
Now you’ve got five copper cookware sets to choose from (plus one more option). It’s time for you to pick the best one! But regardless of the set you end up choosing, one thing is for sure the best copper cookware is a good investment and a perfect addition to any kitchen!